Monday, 18 March 2013

Actually save some money

I seem to find that everyday items keep going up and up in price. So to help me save better I decided to read Susan Calhoun's book on Investing with Small Amounts a bargain at only £1.92 for an e edition. The how to put aside extra cash points are great and even though I did most of these already it was nice to know I wasn't alone in scraping and saving as much as I can.  I'm now on the hunt for a similar free e book based on the UK finance system. 

As I’m very good at budgeting and saving money below are a few tips that always seem to help me and I do hope they will help you too.
  • My number 1 saving tip is always to ask myself if I really need it, just because it is on sale doesn't mean I need it.
  • If you can make it yourself and save money give it a go, check out my recipe page for these yummy biscuits.
 
  • Every month I put aside money for Christmas and Birthday presents then when the sales start, I'm ready to get all my Christmas shopping and Birthday shopping done at a fraction of the price but still get the great gifts for my friends and family that I wanted. 
  • Instead of having speciality coffee every day I treat myself to one on a Saturday morning when I'm out shopping or going for a walk and it might be all in the head but I swear that Saturday skinny latte tastes better on a Saturday.
  • I have started doing my shopping once every four or five weeks depending on when the pay cheque comes in.  I get to take advantage of all the 2 for 1 offers for which the freezer is great for.  I make sure I buy enough to cover lunch for the next month (yes I pre-pack lunch every day and save a fortune) and buy enough snacks to last me too, though my biggest weakness is rationing the snacks to one a day but out of sight, out of mind.  The only thing I need to buy on the week-end is milk, fresh fruit and salad for my lunch.  My new shopping routine has saved me quite a bit of cash as I'm not running to the shops during lunch to buy a snack and on a week-end I don't have to worry about a grocery shop, time saved too.  Plus I earn more store points when doing one big shop when I take advantage of the double points.  So all in all my piggy bank is very happy.
  • I write out a budget every month and ensure whatever I put on my credit card I have the cash in my bank account to pay for it. 
  • There is nothing wrong with budget shops, I  buy Timotei Shampoo from Wilkinson for £1.99 and I am constantly asked how I get my hair so shiny
  • For DIY and interior around the house, get yourself to the market, there are lots of great locally made items that are of a high quality that won't cost you the fortune that a high end retailer will.  Though I have to admit that the one lesson I have learnt is that good quality lasts longer though might cost a bit more now it will save you pennies in the long run. 
  • Instead of bulking up your wardrobe with item after item that you might not wear, accessorise, accessorise, a great collar goes along way.  Check out this great sewing blog A Common Thread on how to make your own.  I also love SewCanShe Sewing blog for great ideas on things you might never though of doing.

So start saving and think about what to invest that extra cash on. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment