Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Pretty Flower Dress and some pink for Spring

Well I hope everyone has had a blessed Easter. Easter in England occurs in the Spring which seems to be in hibernation this year due to a high pressure system from Siberia.....brrr is an understatement. Five years in London and not taking my regular trip to South Africa in January has indeed made this a very long winter. I though have decided that I am bored with all the blacks and greys so I brightened up my wardrobe, who says you can't wear springier clothes when it’s still chilly out. My latest sewing project is a combination of Simplicity Pattern K2444 and New Look (NL) Pattern 6141. The combination sprung from a big oops I made with NL 6141. I bought some lovely pink material when on holiday in South Africa in November and proceeded to cut it out for this dress, I was surprised to see a lot of material left over but didn't think anything of it.  I decided to use the rest of the material to cheer up my blacks and quickly make a pink A-Line Skirt. The skirt looks fab and brings some cheer to the cold weather and drab skies. I sat down the next week-end to make my dress. I did the top part no problems, came to do the skirt and oops, I had forgotten to cut out the back of the skirt, no wonder I had enough for the A-Line Skirt.  Thanks to the great technology we have these days I was able to Whatsapp my mom a picture and she was able to get me some more material. Not risking the post so the next one home has a package to bring back.
Oops this is going to be a bit drafty
It will look better once finished, skit pinned on at the moment
Chilly Spring Dressing, looks fab with some pback stockings and shoe boots.
 
 I used my last lot of material bought in South Africa, a brown viscose with blue flowers on it for the combination.  My idea from the start with this material was a dress I could wear with my causal brown boots in spring if it was a bit nippy and right through to autumn. The Simplicity pattern needed just over 2m of material and I only had a 1.5m and so my improvising began. I pinned the top part of K2444 onto Emma (my sewing model). I was lucky to already have the bottom part of NL6141 cut out and so I pinned the bottom skirt piece of NL6141 to the top of K2444. I then added some length to the skirt as the NL6141 top was longer, fiddled with the pleats a bit and cut a seam in the back and Bob's your uncle.   The darts in the top of the dress are really flattering and feminine and the many options with belts really do accentuate the waist and nip it in nicely. Though I have opted for the non belt option.  The pleats make the dress even more flattering around the middle and thighs, not to mention the way it doesn’t cling to the bottom.   I've dressed it up below, one dress so many ways.

Lunch in the park

Office meeting at work
Chilly starts, add a leather jacket
Warmer days
 

I've also decided after seeing Elle Macpherson at 50 that I need to look after myself better. I do not know what Elle's secret is but my Spring time resolutions are:
  • To eat more fruit,
  • Get back into my walking,
  • Ensure I sit, stand and walk up straight
And yes I am dead serious about the last point. I've noticed so many people lately when I look around seem to be slouching and look hunched over. By standing up straight we look so much more beautiful and confident. Not to mention that the stomach muscles get a mini work out, the body breathes better and you in turn you will just feel so much better. Good posture is a great asset to have and after all who really wants a hunched back when they are older. . Also don't forget to moisturise from top to toe every morning and night including the all important and so easily neglected neck and décolleté area. Happy Spring....

2 comments:

  1. Glad your mom could find more fabric for you... So now all your fabric is used up... mmm... time to come visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good excuse hey, that and to make some birthday cakes. Or you can come visit and bring me some more fabric:)

      Delete